Re: How to connect Midi keyboard to Lilypond?

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: How to connect Midi keyboard to Lilypond?
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 12:46:55 -0400

    David> It's been some time since I last tried, but the basic answer
    David> I arrived at for myself was "don't bother".  The tools are
    David> not good enough right now to save time.

For me, MIDI input does save time.  I cheat and use the numeric keypad
to input durations, but I get the note names and octavations by playing
the notes on a MIDI keyboard.

Just this week I did a piece from the alphanumeric keyboard, because the
scan I was transcribing from was bad enough that I needed a complicated
setup with a magnifying sheet propped over the paper, and so it wasn't
as easy to reach the MIDI keyboard as with my normal setup.  And I found
that the input time was about the same (adjusting for the extra reading
time with the bad scan), but the editing time (especially fixing
octavation errors) was much longer with the computer keyboard.  I'm sure
it's possible to practice and get better with entering the octaves where
necessary, but I also spent enough time practicing scales on the piano
that I'm not at all sure I'll ever be able to type them as fast as I can
play them.

I use <http://utopia.knoware.nl/~hlub/uck/software>, which I think has
been mentioned elsewhere in the thread.

I agree that the tools could be improved a lot.  If anyone who knows
LINUX audio ever feels like developing something like midi-input that
will run under jack, so that I could hear the notes as I play them, I
would appreciate it.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden, twitter: @serpentplayer)
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

The family lived so frugally that his mother, Dora, made him shirts
out of scraps of fabric. Once she made herself a skirt out of the back
of the suit that her younger brother was buried in. She didn't want
the material to go to waste.

Michael Kimmelman, in the NY Times obituary of Robert Rauschenberg