How to have separate \paper variables for different scores in the same b

From: Dominic
Subject: How to have separate \paper variables for different scores in the same book?
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 08:49:23 -0700 (PDT)

Here is what I want to achieve:

Two small scores (an SATB hymn, followed by an optional descant line) one
after the other on a single page.

My Lilypond file is laid out like this:

/\score {
  % music for the first score here (SATB hymn)
}

\score {
  % music for the second score here (optional descant line)
}

paper {
  system-system-spacing #basic-distance = #20
}/

I want the system-system-spacing variable to apply to the first score only.

I have tried putting the paper block in the first \score block, like this

/\score {
  % music for first score here
  \paper {
    % paper variables here

\score {
  % music for second score
}/

but it is apparently not allowed.
Neither is putting the system-system-spacing setting inside an individual
score's \layout block.
Neither is putting two \paper blocks, one after each score (the second one
overwrites the value of the first).
If I wrap the first and second scores in their own \bookpart, each with
their own \paper block, then the second score appears on its own page, which
isn't what I want.

What's the best and simplest way to achieve this? Thanks for any
suggestions!

Dominic