Re: Acciaccaturas and slashed stems

From: Peter Bjuhr
Subject: Re: Acciaccaturas and slashed stems
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 21:42:19 +0200

Hi Gilberto!

First I will like to say that your thoughts on this seems very relevant!

On 09/18/2013 06:50 PM, Gilberto Agostinho wrote:
- Also, the automatic slurs should not exist, in my opinion. Even in
Mozart's music one can find examples where acciaccaturas or grace notes are
not slurred, and when it comes to contemporary music and extended techniques
things get even more complicated.
If we take this as a separate question and forget the slash for the moment, there is an easy solution for this because the automatic slurs only comes with the acciaccatura notation and not for grace notes in general.

\version "2.17.26"

\relative c''{
  \grace { e16 [ d e ] } f4
  \acciaccatura { e16 [ d e ] } f4
  \
}

And if you want the slash but not the slur, the documentation as I read it gives you right in using '\slashedGrace' as in your first example. The problem is then that the slash is not printed for multiple notes. But as this is a known issue, I presume it is a problem waiting for its solution (the temporary limited solution being the script from LSR).

- On the other hand, there should be automatic beaming inside the
\acciaccatura { ... }, since this is the most standard form of writing grace
notes. If one doesn't want it, then she/he could simply use \acciaccatura {
\autoBeamOff ... }
I agree. I can't see any reason for why automatic beaming isn't standard. (But perhaps this is also an issue waiting for adjustments?)

Contemporary composers constantly use slashed notes, being them
acciaccaturas or regular notes, beamed or not, single or multiple, slurred
or not. This is a very important part of the contemporary music vocabulary,
and I think it should be important to address this problem with LilyPond.
I agree that this is very commonly used. But I'm not sure that it is very important in actual performance. To my knowledge there is no clearly stated convention for multiple notes like the distinction between single note appoggiatura and acciaccatura. (If there is an intention behind the slash that affects the performance, I think it is that the slashed grace notes should be even faster than without the slash.) But maybe you have another view on this? That said, I agree that the practise to use the slash is far too common to be ignored.

Best
Peter