Re: mea máxima culpa

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: mea máxima culpa
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 21:57:16 +0200

Evan Driscoll <address@hidden> writes:

> I definitely pay attention to who I keep on the CC list and will
> remove people if I have reason to believe the followup is a lot less
> relevant for them, but that's my general rule of thumb. Maybe it's
> just because I don't get enough emails, but I get *way* more annoyed
> when it seems like I've been dropped from a mail thread that was
> relevant to me then I do when I get extra emails that are *not*
> relevant.
>
> Personally, I don't see the reason for BCC besides a CYA move.

I use Bcc for my monthly (more or less) reports to people sponsoring my
work on LilyPond.  The nominal recipient is myself then.  Most people
don't _want_ their mail address to be distributed to a lot of people
when they are not member of an actual discussion group.

This is similar for mailing lists mostly used for announcements: not
everybody subscribing to announcements wants to have his address
advertised to other recipients.

--
David Kastrup