Re: LilyPond and ConTeXt

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: LilyPond and ConTeXt
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 01:37:47 +0200

Am 08.09.2013 17:18, schrieb David Rogers:
Henning Hraban Ramm <address@hidden> writes:

Am 2013-09-06 um 23:12 schrieb David Rogers <address@hidden>:

Hello
There have been several methods in the history of LilyPond for
integrating LilyPond scores with ConTeXt documents (ConTeXt is a newer
more-flexible system somewhat analogous to LaTeX).

Right now, which is the best choice for putting ConTeXt and LilyPond
together? (Your answer might be "Don't bother, just use LaTeX", if you
have a good reason for saying that.)

Hi David,

I’m the one behind the previous lilypond module for ConTeXt and the current
LilyPond filter suggestion.
For me, it works great (besides the usual layout problems with TeX).

I guess the matter is, what are you planning to do?
I’m typesetting songbooks.
I'd like to be able to make a teaching book for piano students - short
pieces with comments and explanations in between, with the ability to
have section or chapter headings and other types of headings as well,
and easy control over page-breaking (both within the music and between
the pieces) would be nice. Shouldn't be more difficult than a songbook,
I would think - perhaps even less, because there are fewer lines of
lyrics.

You might check out musicexamples (http://www.openlilylib.org/musicexamples), a LaTeX package. Still slightly short of a first official release but maybe useful in that respect. One thing on the list of ideas is to make a (LuaLaTeX only) extension allowing to enter LilyPond code like in lilypond-book that is then processed directly from compiling the document (similar to what Henning describes for ConTeXt).

Best
Urs