Re: merging notes

From: Karl Hammar
Subject: Re: merging notes
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 11:32:47 +0200 (CEST)

Peter Bjuhr:
> I will try to find a solution to your actual problem now.

That's very kind of you, thanks.

> > Now, I want to merge two same looking notes. It works well for the
> > c4 in the third beat, 1st measure, above.
> >
> > \version "2.17.10"
> >
> > lcl = { \revert MultiMeasureRest #'staff-position }
> > ma = \relative c' { \lcl d1 | g2 g | R1\fermataMarkup }
> > mb = \relative c' { \lcl d1 | d2 d | R1\fermataMarkup }
> >
> > \new Staff <<
> >    \new Voice = "Va" { \voiceOne \ma }
> >    \new Voice = "Vb" { \voiceTwo \mb }
> > I need to name the voices for a later \lyricsto,
> > I want the \voiceOne/Two so the stems comes out right.
> How do you want the stems?

Top voice with stems up, bottom voice with stems down as shown in
my example.

> > How do I make the first d1's merge ?
> The problem here is that these are whole note's/semibreve's without
> stems, and if they are merged how would you know that there are two voices!?

The same thing with rests, if only on rest, it applies both voices
if one rest and one note, seperate voices.
If only one whole note, both voices.

Two whole notes at same pitch just looks strange.
Have a look at:

 http://turkos.aspodata.se/motett/c_saint_saens/4_air.pdf

> There are perhaps a technical solution to this but I leave that to the
> experts. But this and your previous question hints at you wanting to use
> some kind of part combining!?

No, part combining makes voices to be combined into chords.
I could use it for the above, but if one of the voices are split,
then you don't know wich voice is split after part combiner.

> > How do I make the \fermataMarkup merge ?
> For the fermata you could perhaps find a solution here:
> http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=372

Thanks, that worked.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar