Re: Feta font modifications by Janek

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Feta font modifications by Janek
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 16:35:46 +0200 (CEST)

[wearing the FreeType maintainer hat]

>> There are some uses for it in in-house font design - which to some
>> extent could include lilypond - but MM fonts are not really offered
>> any more, and nobody is developing along those lines.

Basically, I don't see any technical difficulties in using MM fonts...

>> It's more or less an obsolete technology, and could not be recommended
>> for lilypond.
>
> The font format may be obsolete, but the parameterization technology
> does not seem to have seen a useful successor in interest.

... since (a) FreeType supports MM fonts out of the box, in case you
need a rasterizer, and (b) there are utilities like `mmpfb' which
create Type 1 single-master fonts from Multiple Master fonts.

Howver, my opinion is that we don't *need* Multiple Masters in
general.  What we really need is an option to select a stylistic
variant which contains a set of finely tuned glyphs representing a
certain style, and OpenType provides the perfect means for that,
namely up to 20 stylistic sets (features `ss01' to `ss20').

Alas, lilypond still lacks an interface to OpenType features, which
would be very useful for other typographical stuff also.  This is
issue #1388, BTW.

    Werner