Re: a few questions

From: Tim Roberts
Subject: Re: a few questions
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 10:40:39 -0700

Stephanie <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have a few questions which I need help with.
> I not sure what the /relative is for?

Ordinarily, notes in Lilypond specify not only the pitch, but the
octave.  Middle C is c' -- third-space C is c'' -- two ledger lines C is
c'''.  Similarly, 2nd space bass clef C is c -- two ledger lines below
is c, -- octave below that is c,, .  Note that "c4" means a quarter
note.  The "4" is not an octave number.

It can get tedious to write all those ticks and commas on every note.
So, most people use "relative" mode, where each note is assumed to be
close to the note just before.  "\relative c" says that the following
block is starting close to the C below middle C.  That applies only to
the stuff INSIDE the braces.

Did you type your message on a phone?  I'm wondering if it was
auto-correct that changed your scale to:

    c4 do every from go from every do c4

So, you probably want something similar to this:

upper = \relative c' {
    \clef treble
    \key c \major
    \time 4/4