Re: chopin example

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: chopin example
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 15:46:08 +0200

Am 26.08.2013 15:30, schrieb David Kastrup:
Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

Am 26.08.2013 13:45, schrieb Martin Tarenskeen:
For example at some point in the score I have to combine two 3/4
bars in the right hand with one 2/2 bar in the left hand. polymetric
music from 1830!
BTW: Schubert had a manner of playing with 'weakening' metrics through
the use of accents.
Bach does it even worse.  I remember hemioles in several choroi that
were discoverable mostly because the lyrics changed metre (in the
meaning of "stress pattern").

I suppose that this kind of cue would mostly be lost on non-native
singers.
If you disregard the discrepancy between Saxon and other German dialects Bach didn't have to bother with non-native singers ;-)

I haven't found references in the 'official' literature confirming
this, but I've come to be sufficiently sure about it to dare to come
up with an example like the attached ones.  Admittedly this is an
_extreme_ case but there are plenty of cases where he uses the
technique to e.g. write two 3/2 bars instead of three 2/2 ones.
Overriding the composer with regard to metric choices may often be a bad
idea since quite often there is a subtle ambiguity and balance between
the different voices and their respective melodic highlights.

A metre change might make a much more definite statement than intended
by the composer.
Well, I'm not completely sure what you mean regarding my intentions, but of course my examples weren't meant to be published as an edition of that song but examples to illustrate the textual analysis. In the non-polymetric examples the pedallings used to display 'virtual meter' are my additions while the accents are my reconstruction from the autograph - which heavily disagrees with the printed scores (that simply copy the 'missing' articulations from the first four bars).

Of course - apart from being unthinkable in the 1820s - Schubert (and Bach, and probably others as well) wouldn't have wanted to write such a hard modification like a meter change but rather used such strategies exactly for their ambiguity. But reading an accent as a 'weak' meter change is something that isn't obvious by itself, so some hints are always necessary. In that context it may be interesting to know that Schubert could also write accents that span half a or a whole bar. Unfortunately this distinction is completely lost in print (the New Schubert Edition usually uses footnotes in extreme cases).

Urs