Re: explicit 7 on a half diminished 7

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: explicit 7 on a half diminished 7
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 08:38:41 -0500

On Aug 21, 2013, at 5:40 PM, Derek Klinge <address@hidden> wrote:

> For the life of me I cannot figure this out.
> I would like the following example to explicitly include the 7. Is there a
> way to change the way it handles half diminished 7ths?
>
> EXAMPLE
> \chords {
>   c4:7.9- c:7.9-/g
>   \set slashChordSeparator = \markup { " over " }
>   \break
>   c4:7.9- c:7.9-/g
> }

I am confused as well.  I don't understand his code in terms of his question
because c4:7.9- is not a half-diminished chord, it is an altered chord that
should print as C7b9.

The default rendering of a C half-diminished chord of c4:min7.5- in LilyPond,
at least prior to 2.17, would be Cø and my guess is that he wants it printed as
Cmin7b5 or C-7b5.  To achieve that the OP needs to write a chordname exception.