Re: [Schikkers-List]: demo feedback

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: [Schikkers-List]: demo feedback
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 09:25:29 -0400

On Aug 20, 2013, at 4:02 AM, Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thank you!  Now all I need is more hackers and users/people giving
> feedback, like you :-)

Glad to help. :-)

>> One thing that is counter-intuitive (maybe you're already aware of
>> this), is that selecting a different note duration from the palette
>> changes the currently selected note.  My expectation was that it would
>> only apply to newly entered notes, and that to change an
>> already-entered note to a new duration, I would have to click on it
>> again.
>
> That's an interesting suggestion!  This does make sense, I'll have
> to think about this; even better, we could experiment.
>
> The current behaviour kind of matches the keyboard entry.

Ah, I see the reason for the current behavior now.

> If you start from a fresh document and with focus in the GUI type
>
>   <space>b8
>
> then the first
>
>   <space>: produces a copy of the first c4
>   b: changes that second c4 to a b4
>   8: changes that b4 to an b8
>   etc
>
> If instead of typing the last `8' you would click the duration button
> of 8, wouldn't you expect it to change immediately?

The keyboard entry makes sense to me, and I now see how the button behavior
matches that.  However, I still think most users will think the buttons are
like a "tool palette" and be surprised that clicking them changes a note that
has already been entered.

> Possibly this keyboard entry method is also clumsy and we may want
> to get rid of it altogether.

Perhaps, although it makes sense for learning LilyPond text input.  I'd say
keep the keyboard entry as is, but consider changing the note duration buttons
to match (what I assume are) the typical users' expectations.

> Currently, I have disabled text entry
> in the text area, but I'm working on a ly parser there.

That will be a nice feature that makes a lot of sense for easing people into
using text-entry.

>> Also, I prefer having the LilyPond text box below the staff instead of
>> side-by-side, since that would provide more horizontal space for
>> viewing the staff.
>
> Ok.  That makes sense.
>
> Have you noticed that you can make the ly-text view narrower and
> notation view wider, by dragging the middle dividing line to the right?

Ah, I hadn't noticed that!  That helps a lot.

> Currently, there is only this sort of "piano-roll"-eske view, but I'm
> working on full page views.  That seems to work better with the text on
> the right.  Possibly we could swap right or below depending on the view.
> What do you think?

That makes sense to me.  Maybe something to revisit once the page view is
working?  Knowing about the resizable panels helps a lot for now.

>> I noticed an audio bug where a note would repeatedly play for some
>> reason.  (using Chrome 27)
>
> Can you provide me with a `recipe' of how I can reproduce it?

I tried various things, and it is happening when:
- audio turned on
- cursor positioned anywhere over the "paper" that the staff is drawn on,
- I use my laptop's touch-pad to do a two-finger swipe to scroll the staff
horizontally to the left or right.

Then the currently selected note sounds multiple times in a row, as many as 30
times or more.  It seems that the "hover over the note to make it sound"
mechanism is being fired by scrolling while the cursor is over the "paper".
Scrolling using the scroll bars or using the touch-pad when the cursor is not
over the paper (like just below the paper) is no problem.  This is in both
Chrome and Firefox.

Another little thing is that when the page first loads it looks like the audio
is already on (by the appearance of the audio button), but it doesn't work
until you click the button.  Then it is actually turned on.

Congrats again on the progress!  Let me know if there's more I can do to help.

-Paul