Re: maintaining advanced power-user Scheme functions

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: maintaining advanced power-user Scheme functions
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 15:31:37 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> schrieb:

>Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Version control _can_ be useful for a collection like the LSR. Think
>> of providing snippets for more than one LilyPond version. If I'm
>using
>> 2.16 I will download a different snippet than for 2.17.24 ...
>
>But that's not what version control is for.  Version control does not
>fundamentally work with a series of codependent equally active HEADs,
>but rather has one principal HEAD of development, and historic
>references (quite likely containing _inferior_ code, and inferior for
>reasons that are often only marginally related to the LilyPond
>version).

I think developing input files to keep up with LilyPond versions _is_ natural
to Git. Snippet versions which are compatible to a certain older version of
LilyPond are legitimate 'historic references'.

Accessing them in parallel isn't natural, that's right. But it could be made
manageable. On Github for example you can access files on different branches
through different url paths.

I don't want to say that it's dead easy, though ...

Urs