Re: Potential Bug

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: Potential Bug
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 23:34:27 -0600

On 13-08-18 11:09 PM, Joshua Nichols wrote:
In my data entry, I found my output coming out screwey... So I went back and double/triple/quadruple checked for mistakes, trying to get this thing to work... and I might have encountered a bug.

the error occurs (try expediting first) at the beginning of the verses in the tenor:

160:31: warning: ignoring too many clashing note columns

<< \new Voice = "tenVrs" {

\tenVerseNotes } \new Voice = "basVrs" { \basVerseNotes } >>

I can't get this thing to fix. I've tried force breaking the lines, and I keep getting this seemingly "random" 'c' in the tenor with the error. When I go to check the error, it leads to that note, and it is not in the tenor part anywhere.

I think this might be a bug?!? I'm not an expert, so if someone has an alternate suggestion for fixing this problem, let me know.

Sincerely,

Josh

Hello Josh,
And welcome to LilyPond!
Your problem comes from the section where you enter tenVerseNotes: you left off the \relative before the c'. Add that in and Bob's your uncle.
Next, we definitely respond better to Tiny Examples ( http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/web/tiny-examples ), both for possible bugs and even for requests for information.
Finally, I definitely recommend you have a look at the reference material on the website; the Learning Manual is a great way to gwet the feel of LilyPond, and the Notation Manual has wonderful sections on polyphonic music, including managing several simultaneous voices. The "ignoring too many clashing note columns" warning comes when you have simultaneous notes in two or more voices, but LilyPond has no way to resolve the problem. Leaving out the \relative in tenVerseNotes gave you a C outside the rest of the definition, which confused LilyPond.

Hope that helps, Josh!
Colin
--
I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands. You need to be able to throw something back.
-Maya Angelou, poet (1928- )