Re: MIDI keyboard

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: MIDI keyboard
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 11:50:16 -0400

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 11:19 AM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:

here is your problem. You are hoping that the timing of your keypress
could be interpreted and a duration of note estimated from it. Such
systems have been tried many times, and are offered by programs that
don't care if you succeed or not, as long as you buy the program. They
don't work because of the subtleties of timing, rests and notation
(consider, 1/4 note tied to 1/8 note is the same duration as dotted 1/4
note).
Well, I would like to be proved wrong; the moment you hear of a way of
doing it I promise I will implement it in Denemo: everything is there
just waiting for someone to invent the algorithm.

Richard,
ICBW, but I think that *usually*, 4. vs 4~8 depends on the context and the time signature. For instance, I was told to break and tie notes if they cross the midline of a duple or quadruple measure (so "c4 c4. c8 c4" would be written as "c4 c4~c8 c8 c4" in 4/4 and "c8 d e4 f8 g" as "c8 d e~e f g" in 6/8), but there are others that are largely stylistic (such as whether to break a quarter note if it crosses any beat at all).

One option would be to have a MIDI-entry mode and notate based on actual durations (i.e., notate a 4. if that was what was played), then present it to the user to review with a popup of some sort to allow for alternate notations (e.g., show c4~c8 or c8~c4 [depending on where the beat is] as an alternate to c4.) before entering into the score proper.

Carl