SMuFL

From: Urs Liska
Subject: SMuFL
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 14:39:21 +0200

Hi all,

although I suspect this could once more become a longish and scattered thread, I feel forced to bring it up here.

What do you think: would it make sense to open up LilyPond thinking to the idea of SMuFL brought up by Steinberg and Daniel Spreadbury?
http://www.smufl.org

Of course currently it's only their new Bravura font that complies to that proposed standard.
But I can imagine there will be more 'participators' in mid-term future.

Making Emmentaler/Feta SMuFL-compliant could have several advantages IMHO:
- Open up the possibility (or at least make a step in that direction)
  to use alternative fonts for LilyPond engraved scores.
  Once LilyPond could use SMuFL compliant fonts it would be easy
  to use any new font that adheres to the standard
- Increasing LilyPond's 'cooperativeness'
  (a technical aspect as well as a 'social' signal)

(And BTW I would be happy if I could make 'lilyglyphs' compliant to a standard which allows switching fonts)

Any thoughts?

Urs