Re: Steinberg's progress report on new notation software

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Steinberg's progress report on new notation software
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 16:57:14 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim McNamara" <address@hidden>
To: "LilyPond Users" <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, August 08, 2013 4:32 PM

Similarly LilyPond is probably not the most appropriate tool for most people just looking to print out some chord charts for their coffee house open mic night. I don't think that it's presented as the tool for those folks- LilyPond is aimed at the people who want that fine-grained control over output (although for people like me, writing lead sheets for jazz combos, the default ways of doing things works well for almost everything and only a few tweaks are necessary. A few minutes and I've got charts for everyone that are vastly more readable than Real Book charts). I find it faster than MuseScore, which I also tried, and the output is vastly better than Finale.

To a large extent, that was exactly what started me with Lily. I use Windows and a low cost notation tool that doesn't do anything like decent printing. I just wanted something that printed out better, and wasn't expensive. I found Lily and have been with her ever since.

--
Phil Holmes