Re: Maybe bug? Lyrics on a tied note at end of system

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: Maybe bug? Lyrics on a tied note at end of system
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 11:07:11 -0400

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 10:38 AM, James Harkins <address@hidden> wrote:
On Aug 4, 2013 5:30 PM, "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:
> maybe it's as Phil stated in his answer: singers expect the lyric text to start with the note and do not follow other/foreign aesthetic styles

Classical or jazz singers?

I can't speak particularly for either classical or jazz singers (though I did a bit of both in my university years). My own arena of semi-expertise is hymnals, and I typically see lyrics centered under the starting note of a melisma/tie. The closest I see to a full left-align is perhaps a fractional alignment, something that in our alignment system would be a -0.9 or -0.8, so that the syllable extends out into the melisma, but still has the uneven/centered look of regular syllables. Seeing a column of flush-left syllables in the middle of a line of lyrics when there are 3-5 verses just looks *bad*, even if it is technically correct. Maybe not so much of a problem in through-composed or single verse lyrics, but the difference is glaringly obvious with multiple verses.

On a related matter, thanks for reminding me about the lyricsMelismaAlignment tweak. I'll probably be putting that into my template.

Carl