Re: Maybe bug? Lyrics on a tied note at end of system

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: Maybe bug? Lyrics on a tied note at end of system
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 19:16:37 +0000 (UTC)

Eluze <eluzew <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > However, the same thing happens at the end of a system, forcing the note
> > column far to the left of where I would expect it to appear.
>
> see
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/snippets-big-page#text-aligning-
syllables-with-melisma

> "By default, lyrics syllables that start a melisma are left aligned on their
> note. The alignment can be altered using the lyricMelismaAlignment
> property."

In other words, if you want the left-alignment in the middle of a system,
where it makes sense, but you don't want this at the ends of systems, then you
have to do a lot of overrides, but only for notes at system ends, and then
hope that Lilypond doesn't change the system breaks on you. That sounds like
the kind of manual intervention you'd have to do in Finale, which we boast
shouldn't be necessary in Lilypond.

I'd still call it a bug. Sure, the feature is working as designed, but the
design made a mistake by not considering system breaks.

hjh