Re:getting musical examples to an exact textwidth with a style file

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re:getting musical examples to an exact textwidth with a style file
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 21:04:08 +0200

Kevin Patrick Barry <address@hidden> schrieb:
Have you looked at lilypond-book?  That's likely the tool of choice
here, and it is not clear from your description that you are using it.

--
David Kastrup

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Yes when I first started the project (a PhD thesis) I was using lilypond-book, but I abandoned it for a couple of reasons, the main one being that lilypond-book placed systems too close together (it just uses a \linebreak), and as far as I could tell I had to go messing with macros to change that (something I know nothing about).  Seeing as lilypond-book was just creating pdfs and including them as graphics I decided it would be simpler if I just did that myself.  It had the beneficial side effects of meaning that I didn't have to give every file in the project a .lytex extension, and reducing the time it takes to have a look at what I'm doing (lilypond-book seems to ignore the \include command).  If there's an easy way to get the nice (default) system-system-spacing variables that lilypond uses into lilypond-book I would consider going back to it.

I have noticed that lilypond-book doesn't suffer from the same line-width problem that I have; looking at the code of some of its examples maybe it has something to do with the included lilypond-book-preamble.ly?

Kevin

lilypond-user mailing list
address@hidden