Re: anyone got lilypond 2.16.2 to work on Windows Vista?

From: Robert Honore
Subject: Re: anyone got lilypond 2.16.2 to work on Windows Vista?
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 13:02:01 -0400

On 02/08/2013 18:34, Federico Bruni wrote:

2013/8/2 Robert Honoré <address@hidden
<mailto:address@hidden>>

    Please find attached lilypond_debug_log.txt and craptastic-1.ly
    <http://craptastic-1.ly>.

I can compile it on linux using version 2.16.2
I get a warning about encoding of file:

craptastic-1.ly <0>: warning: non-UTF-8 input

composer = "Robert Honor

�"

In fact it's:

$ file craptastic-1.ly <http://craptastic-1.ly>

craptastic-1.ly <http://craptastic-1.ly>: ISO-8859 text, with CRLF line
terminators

The other warning is:

warning: cannot find or create new `staff'

[8]

you should write

\new Staff

(instead of \new staff)

Finally, you should insert \global inside themeOne.

Can you compile the attached file?

In short, no. I reverted my system to the state it was in on 25 July, 2013. That is, before my first attempt to install the new version of LilyPond. The version that was installed at the time was LilyPond Version 2.12.3. It still didn't work.

The two files I have attached give a reasonable impression of the story as it was since I attempted the upgrade. Basically, whatever problems LilyPond encounters on my computer does not allow it to get past the part where it prints out the line, "Building font database." After that, the longer I leave LilyPond running, the more unresponsive the system becomes, until the entire user interface becomes so unresponsive as to force me to stop everything either with Task Manager if I can get it to respond, or by restarting the system, or power-cycling the system.

Despite restoring the system from a restore point from 25 July, 2013, LilyPond (even my previous version) does not work any more, and does not even seem to attempt to open whatever file you specify on the command line. Also, it seems like only LilyPond is affected by whatever problem exists on my system. All the other applications I use don't appear to have any problems I could detect.

Thanks again, Federico.

Yours sincerely,
Robert Honore.