Re: Sharing: "Capone," by Rachael [pdf]

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Sharing: "Capone," by Rachael [pdf]
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 20:07:46 +0200

2013/8/3 Rachael Thomas Carlson <address@hidden>

Hello Federico:

I wonder what's the meaning of the staff lines highlighted in purple...

The TabStaff lines that are highlighted in purple indicate string-damping. This is where the indicated right-hand finger rests or plants upon the string indicated causing that string to *not* vibrate. The notation of this technique is not without historical precedent. In harp notation there is a symbol (looks kinda like a coda symbol) that is used to indicate that note duration is to be exact. Good classical guitar players will instinctively damp the strings in order to play the correct note duration. In Fingerstyle guitar, the notation of a semi-transparent line to connote string-damping was first introduced by John Stropes for the music of Michael Hedges. In the fingerstyle sphere a professional transcription can almost always be marked by the presence of string-damping notation. In short, the purple line is the notation of silence.

Ok, I  see: a note would help.
I don't  know Stropes books

Also, all the slides in your piece seem non legato, because they are not slurred. I use to write legato slides as:

c( \glissando d)

I am not familiar with legato slides. Do you have an example that you could share with me? I am intrigued.

Well, it's just the usual slide,  where the second note is  not picked.That's why it's usually notated with a slur also.
In non legato slides both notes are picked,  second note included.

But my tablature references are probably very different from yours.

I studied fingerstyle guitar with John Stropes for about eight years. My transcription and typesetting techniques are largely due to the quality of transcription that John has published. Although, I must say that Lilypond is a much more beautiful program than Finale for fingerstyle guitar notation.

I have made quite a bit of headway on my current transcriptions. The issue with sharing the ones that I am working on now is that I do not own the copyright of the music. I would have to get permission from the artist to share any bit of it.

One big thing that I am doing differently now is: Slurs. I no longer use the slur function in tabulature. I use something like this:

c4~ <\tweak TabNoteHead #'transparent ##t c\5 a,\5>

I created a little shortcut so that I can use \fakeSlur to mean a transparent TabNoteHead. I use this now because I like the look of ties in tabulature more more than the look of slurs in tabulature.

yes,  I noted  that when using \tabFullNotation (as you do) the slurs don't look good on TabStaff
but I never use \tabFullNotation :-)

Feel free to share the recording if you have found it, I enjoy fingerstyle guitar ;-)

The recording is from 2005. I was 17. I would be quite embarrassed to share it. I will consider it though. Oh, a friend of mine might be recording it soon. I will definitely share that.

Ok, I understand :-)

PS
If you happen to be in Italy, don't miss the Six Bars Jail folk club in Florence:
http://www.sixbarsjail.it/

Many fingerstyle legends have come to play at our club.
We have interesting concerts starting from September.
Disclaimer: we don't do it for profit, so it's not bad advertisement.