Re: Anyone using a tablet for lily?

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: Anyone using a tablet for lily?
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 13:56:27 -0400

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Eduardo Silva <address@hidden> wrote:

What I would be interested in is a WYSIWYG editor that would be able to take down notes and output a basic ly file, perhaps to Dropbox.

Hi, I think there are some editors for Android/Ipad that will at least output to ABC or MusicXML, you could try exporting it from there, no?

Probably could. The issue I've had with point-and-click editors in general is that they add a lot more information than I necessarily want. I compose almost exclusively for SATB voices. I have a template that--in coordination with editing some of the internal Scheme files--allows me to input each voice as a variable and then does the automatic part combining. I also put bar and break information in a separate voice, so the only thing I want in the LP output are bare music essentials of notes, slurs and ties (and maybe a couple of other things that escape me at the moment). I've tried to use both MuseScore and Denemo to speed up the compositional work and output a file I can use in my template, but I've found that I spend more time stripping their output of all the extra information that the template doesn't need than I do if I just used my usual type and test workflow. There may be a setting for them not to output this information. If there is, I don't know about it.

Cheers,
Carl