Re: Automatic production of simple practice scores

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Automatic production of simple practice scores
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 11:21:22 +0200

Am 22.07.2013 11:07, schrieb Janek Warchoł:
Hi,

2013/7/21 Carl Smith <address@hidden>:
Hi all

This is my first post to the list, so I'd like to say thanks
for your work. LilyPond looks awesome.

I have a client who needs a little program writing, and I
wanted to run it by you guys first. This is what he asked
me for...

"""
I am looking for a program that can automatically
generate sets of notes and rhythms and basic musical
pieces for rhythm and sightreading exercises. I have
noticed various other sites use this 'automation'.

http://www.practicesightreading.com/
https://www.sightreadingfactory.com/
"""

I'm not much of a musician, so I was wondering if anyone
could give me some pointers.
Take a look at http://lilypondblog.org/2013/07/programmatically-generating-lilypond-input/
:)

hth,
Janek
You should also look at http://lilypondblog.org/2013/07/creating-anything-you-can-imagine-with-finale/ and esp. the PDF linked in the middle of that post to see what Janek is talking about.

Also you might have a look at http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2013-07/msg00347.html and its result at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49478835/patterns-function-propsal.pdf (as this is in my Dropbox the link may break at any time soon).

What we are doing right now is a literal walk through all possible rhythmical combinations. It would be very simple to modify that to some sort of random pattern combination. One 'restriction' is that we only consider patterns with equal length elements, so it is only partly usable as exercises.
But of course Janek only wanted to point you to an example showing that what you want is actually quite straightforward in LilyPond.

Urs