Re: Pattern-generating Scheme function challenge

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Pattern-generating Scheme function challenge
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 14:02:41 +0200

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> 2013/7/21 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>> Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Harm,
>>>
>>> I did a quick compilation (further investigation to follow) - and
>>> that's awesome! Thenk you very much.
>>> Of course it will be hard to 'sell' it with a 'hey, look how easy it
>>> is to realize that with LilyPond ;-)
>>
>> Let's see how we can improve on that.
> [...]
>
> Hi David,
>
> thanks a lot for your thoughts, proposals and the effort you've put on this.
> I was sure that there were several instances in my code which could
> have been done better.

I'm great at improving things and bad at doing them in the first place.
Because I can't bring myself to write something down that "merely" works
first, and then improve it afterwards.

> Though, because noone else came up with a working solution, I posted
> it in it's current state.

Sure.  Getting something done is important as a first step.

> Will have a closer look later this evening.

A programming environment/language is well designed if the first
solution that comes to mind is not far from elegant and/or optimal.

The way LilyPond's components tie together and that our learning
material helps with understanding and leads to further documentation
does not exactly make that easy.

It's one of the reasons I tailride on such threads and try promoting
simpler solutions, and when everything else fails, write helper routines
to make this possible.

--
David Kastrup