Re: stylesheets, defaults, and other in-Pond-erables

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: stylesheets, defaults, and other in-Pond-erables
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 15:52:21 -0400

Hello all,

> I'm hoping to break out a series of stylesheets (or stylesheet sets):
>     instrument (e.g., violin) solo
>     piano solo
>     piano + vocal
>     piano + solo instrument
>     organ solo
>     instrumental ensemble (e.g., piano quartet)
>     chorus a cappella
>     orchestra
>     orchestra + chorus

I've found lovely examples of piano + vocal, organ solo, chorus + piano
reduction, orchestra, and orchestra + chorus in my library. (Most are
Bärenreiter, so I'm sticking close to Lilypond's inspirational roots…)

So now I really need a benchmark for instrument solo, piano solo, piano + solo
instrument, instrumental ensemble, and chorus a cappella. (I have some scores
in my library, of course, but none of them are stunning enough to consider
using as a benchmark.)

Regardless of the engraving/publishing house these benchmarks come from, I
think the resulting Lilypond stylesheets should ONLY use fonts which are
available in the default Lilypond installation (e.g., New Century Schoolbook).

Later on, when we make "house styles" (for those who really want, e.g., their
music theatre song to look like it came from a modern Warner Bros. songbook),
we can use non-standard fonts.

Cheers,
Kieren.