Re: Uneven note spacing

From: Eluze
Subject: Re: Uneven note spacing
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 14:23:45 -0700 (PDT)

Andrew Bernard wrote
> Greetings List,
>
> In the following example from a piece I am setting, the composer wants
> the notes in the tuplets exactly evenly spaced, but I see considerable
> unevenness here. There are two questions. First, is this really the
> classical and canonical way to space tuplet notes when in the cross
> staff situation here? Secondly, even if it is, how can I make them
> evenly spaced out?
>
> If I use proportional notation, the only way to spread them out evenly
> is to use such a large value that the score becomes ridiculously widely
> spaced.
>
> The dodecaphonic accidental style is required in this piece.

hi Andrew

first I think it will often look a little strange if you have stems going up
and down because of the attachment of the stems to the left or right of the
note head - even if the note heads are evenly spaced the stems will look
uneven.

in *NR 4.5.5 Proportional notation* there is a few proposals how to define
proportional settings.

and with \newSpacingSection it is alway possible to redefine or revert these
settings

I have set

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    proportionalNotationDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1/32)
    \override SpacingSpanner.uniform-stretching = ##t
    \override SpacingSpanner.strict-note-spacing = ##t
    \accidentalStyle dodecaphonic

and this looks quite reasonable to me.
hth
Eluze