Sharing: "Capone," by Rachael [pdf]

From: Rachael Thomas Carlson
Subject: Sharing: "Capone," by Rachael [pdf]
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 06:37:09 -0500

Hello All:

I finished my first transcription with Lilypond a couple of days ago.  I am
proud of it.  I have realized a couple of flaws since finishing it but since I
do not feel like writing another 5K lines of code for this piece I have
decided that it is done.

I have found this community extraordinarily helpful.  I am excited to
continue working with all of you!  And I must say, I have used Finale in
the past but Lilypond surpasses it in almost every way.  I have talked
with a fellow fingerstyle buddy of mine who also does transcriptions
(with Finale, though) and he gripes about some of the same stuff but
because he is not able to manipulate how Finale interprets what he is
attempting to tell it he ends up spending many hours attempting to
input something that could be input within an hour with Lilypond (and
emacs/vim).

In the Fingerstyle world, notating String-dampening or string stopping is
of the utmost importance.  Michael Hedges is the composer who comes
to mind who used it with beautiful results.  With Finale, you have to use
a separate program to input the string dampening.  With Lilypond, you
can use a TextSpan that is placed in the #-1 layer.  If anyone is
interested in the .ly file of the piece please let me know.  Also, I am
more than open to constructive criticism.

I am very proud of Lilypond.  I look forward to working more with the
program and its outstanding community!

Thank you,
Rachael Thomas Carlson