Fwd: vertical space..under the staff

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Fwd: vertical space..under the staff
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 08:50:04 -0500

Sorry for the duplicate, Paul--forgot to hit "reply all"...

____________________________

Hi Paul,

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 8:20 AM, Paul Malcolm <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi David, thanks. That was a silly error in my post.
I did try the _ and it didn't work.
In frustration I changed it to a ^ to see if changing the padding worked only
in one direction

Keeping it this way

c4.\DB^\markup{\center-align \larger \triangle ##t}

I used this standard function

padText =
#(define-music-function (parser location padding) (number?)
  #{
    \once \override TextScript #'padding = #$padding
  #})
Using this certainly changed padding for symbols like an upbow and a
downbow but the position of the triangle was invariant.

Well, upbow and downbow are both grobs of type Script, so I can't see how your override would affect them, unless you're drawing them as markups.

I'm not sure if one could use a negative quantity for this pad function but that
didn't work either.
Maybe the the triangle is some other object that does not belong to
"TextScript" but some other named group of objects ?

What Id like is, with

c4.\DB_\markup{\center-align \larger \triangle ##t}

the triangle to be a fixed distance below the stave that I can choose.
I looked at the manual but couldn't find anything, perhaps its a non standard
thing to do.

The issue here is that, with the example you give, you have to use rather large values of 'padding to see any effect.  This has to do with how far your note extends below the staff.  Try this

padText =
#(define-music-function (parser location padding) (number?)
  #{
    \once \override TextScript #'padding = #$padding
  #})

{
  \padText #6
  c4._\markup{\center-align \larger \triangle ##t}
}