RE: Strange behaviour (bug?) with multiple overlapping DynamicText

From: Jan Rosseel
Subject: RE: Strange behaviour (bug?) with multiple overlapping DynamicText
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 22:01:51 +0200

From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Strange behaviour (bug?) with multiple overlapping

>>> The \new Voice {} neatly pushes everything inside one voice. This of

>>> course means I can no longer have a global \override DynamicText
>>> #'color = #red/green/blue in the different edit tracks.

>What do you mean with "no longer"?  \override DynamicText only applies
to a single Voice.

>>> So I switched to \once\override.

> Huh?  That does not apply in a manner differing from plain \override.

No, of course that does not change things. The once stuff is intimately
linked with the "no longer". My initial idea was to have an override
statement inside each of these edit streams so they could all be colored
differently, making it obvious where the edit came from. But when one
squeezes everything into one voice, there are no longer different
overrides.  (And I now understand that it was probably the overrides
that caused the implicit voices to be started anyway.)

So I started using \once\override on individual edit/annotations to
individual notes, which worked fine until there were two edits on the
same rhythmic location.  I was just expecting (hoping?) that by sheer
luck it would take the right color, but now that I somewhat understand
how the internals work, it's obvious this doesn't work out. Silly me.

> But at any timestep, only one \override can be active in a given
context.  So what you want to be working with in order to be able to
have independent "edits" on the same kind of graphical
> element all within the same Voice/context at the same point of time is
\tweak rather than \override.
> \tweak applies only to one element.  Its information travels through
the tweaked music event rather than through properties of a context, so
you can have different settings at the same point of time.

* Knocks head *  Yes, of course. Tweaks. I had read it in the manual,
but just haven't memorized everything yet.

Thanks, you're saving my day.