Re: Making space for markup with cross-staff beams

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Making space for markup with cross-staff beams
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 16:07:19 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
To: "LilyPond User Group" <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2013 12:29 PM
Subject: Making space for markup with cross-staff beams

As something of an exercise, I'm setting the Vaughan Williams song "let
beauty awake" in Lily. It's got lots of staff crossing. My current problem
is getting the stems and beams to avoid some markup.  The attached image
illustrates the problem.  I know I could move all the staves apart more to
provide some room, but I don't want to do that because it would mess up all the other staves. Is there a way of either just moving the piano staves on this system a bit further apart, or alternatively, some other way of making
the cross staff furniture avoid the markup?

I made this work by placing a hidden note high above the stave for the left hand at the end of the system - this forces the left hand away from the right and gives space to fit the text in. I've now finished this exercise. It's all been created in Noteworthy and uses my converter to make the LilyPond - no hand crafting of the .ly code is necessary - all the hand-crafting is done with text commands in Noteworthy. I'm pleased with how it looks.

--
Phil Holmes