Equal bar lengths

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Equal bar lengths
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 22:03:11 +1000

Dear list,

I am working on scores by a contemporary composer of the new complexity school (although I don't like such labels, it is a fair description). The notation is dense and complex. One characteristic the composer insists on is having beatmarks (I implement this with mensurstriche layout) at exactly ruled equal distances in his scores. I regard this as similar to notating on graph paper, with distance indicating scaled time. Not sure I agree with this, but it's something the composer desires.

The question is therefore, is there any way to make bars have equal length in lilypond, equal width on the paper, regardless of the number of notes and objects in the bar? I _know_ this cuts against all the principles of fine engraving, but surprisingly, it looks OK in the dense handwritten manuscripts.

Andrew