Re: cannot shift position of voice in polyphony; problem with harmonic

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: cannot shift position of voice in polyphony; problem with harmonic
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 16:57:15 +0200

Tom Cloyd <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Thanks you, David.
>>>
>>> To answer your question - because my ignorance of Lilypond is vast,
>>> and I've been away from ly for a long time. It shows.
>> I'm afraid that isn't all.  After all, you explicitly specify "Staff"
>> rather than "Voice".  Why would you do that without realizing it?  And
>> the only answer that makes much sense is that the whole phrase is
>> carefully rehearsed gobbledygook without inherent meaning to you.  We
>> need a Ben Yehuda...  Though there _is_ some work being done regarding
>> simplifying the language.
>>
> You're right. Most of it IS nonsense to me. I have programmed
> computers for literally decades, but always as a sideline. I currently
> work in Ruby - every now and again. I'd love to dive into Lilypond's
> "internals", not to mention the base language (except that C stuff -
> ain't goin' there!), BUT, there simply isn't time.
>
> In the case of the "Staff" versus "Voice", I was borrowing a snippet
> from a previous source code file of mine. The snippet did exactly what
> I wanted, so I was shocked to see that it doesn't work in my current
> context. (I now need to figure out why it worked with this earlier
> source file - perhaps due to its using an earlier version of ly?)

Or just not having a parallel voice, or one that does not have a note at
that exact point of time.

[...]

> I'm grateful for your committed and enthusiastic work on ly, most of
> which I probably am unaware of.

Well, let's mention a few more or less recent additions/changes that
might have increased the chances for arriving at a working version here:
what you had as your original template was

    \once \override Staff.NoteHead #'style = #'harmonic-mixed

For one thing, you can now (2.17.6 or later) write

    \once \override Staff.NoteHead.style = #'harmonic-mixed

which is a tiny bit less gobbledygookish and thus might lend itself
slightly more to actually looking at and thinking about it.  Then there
is

    \tweak NoteHead.style #'harmonic-mixed b2.

which will work on just a single NoteHead, and then for the friends of
mindless copy&paste there would also be the equivalent

   \single \override Staff.NoteHead #'style = #'harmonic-mixed b2.

or

   \single \override Staff.NoteHead.style = #'harmonic-mixed b2.

which would only apply the override to the "single" following expression
(namely the b2.) and consequently completely ignores "Staff." in the
specification (you could write "TabStaff." instead without making a
difference).

So the ways for turning some scraps of knowledge into working code have
become more plentiful even though some people might use them more by
accident than by skill.  But the same can be said for some musical
instruments...

Yes, this may all look like minor and/or arbitrary stuff.  But it is
intended to grow the comfort zone where users can fiddle around with
stuff by themselves without getting almost inevitably immediate
punishment.

--
David Kastrup