Re: Rookie transpose / bookpart questions

From: Jim Long
Subject: Re: Rookie transpose / bookpart questions
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 07:23:39 -0700

On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 02:55:32PM -0700, Nathan wrote:

> When typesetting slash notation, I use this snippet:
> http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=332. You don't have to worry about
> transposition because the slashes are really rests. (Also, it doesn't add
> weird notes to the MIDI output.)
>
> Regards,
> Nathan

Thank you, Nathan.  I had forgotten about this technique, as I
used to use it in my early days with LP.  I stopped using it
because it is difficult to notate more complex stroke rhythms,
e.g.:

\improvisationOn
b16 b b b r b r b b b r8 b16 b r8
b16 b b b r b r b b b r4.
\improvisationOff

MIDI output isn't a consideration for me (at this time), but
point taken.

You're right though, for basic quarter-note strokes that don't
get transposed, it does solve the problem.  Thanks also for the
'comp' function, that's a convenient way to incorporate stroke
marks into a staff.

Jim