Re: Set midi volume per voice?

From: ghe
Subject: Re: Set midi volume per voice?
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 21:04:47 +0200 (CEST)

Thank you, Nathan!

Use midiMinimumVolume and midiMaximumVolume to set the volume ranges of each staff or voice.

They don't seem to have any effect if you don't place any dynamics.

This is exactly the information I was missing.

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff \with {
      midiMinimumVolume = #0.0
      midiMaximumVolume = #0.5
    } {
      c'4\f c' c' c' c' c' c' c'
    }
    \new Staff \with {
      midiMinimumVolume = #0.5
      midiMaximumVolume = #1.0
    } {
      g'4\f g' g' g' g' g' g' g'
    }

  \midi { }
}

This works, but if I try to used voices instead of staffs, as in:

\score {
  \new Staff <<
    \new Voice \with {
      midiMinimumVolume = #0.0
      midiMaximumVolume = #0.5
    } {
      c'4\f c' c' c' c' c' c' c'
    }
    \new Voice \with {
      midiMinimumVolume = #0.5
      midiMaximumVolume = #1.0
    } {
      g'4\f g' g' g' g' g' g' g'
    }

  \midi { }
}

then something gets wrong: only the first note seems to be affected by the forte indication (I use 2.14.2). This is fixed either by giving a *different* name to the two voices, or by using

\midi {
  \context { \Staff \remove "Staff_performer" }
  \context { \Voice \consists "Staff_performer" }
}

Thanks again,

--ghe