Re: mdash in markup?

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: mdash in markup?
Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 08:08:41 +0000 (UTC)

Urs Liska <ul <at> openlilylib.org> writes:

>     In the first line of that page you're directed
> tohttp://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/
Documentation/notation/special-characters#ascii-aliases
>     where the first example uses\paper {
>   #(include-special-characters)
> }

I see it now. It wasn't obvious to me that the special character aliases
wouldn't
work without enabling them in the paper block.

FWIW, I complain on the SuperCollider mailing list as well about
"documentation by example." Examples are necessary but, if it's up
to the reader to guess how something works based on an example,
it leaves room to guess wrong. I don't mean this to say that the
Lilypond manuals are misguided -- the opposite, actually: they're
possibly the best documentation for any open source software I've
used. This is a small gap. I'm just bored waiting to see Iron Man 3 and
feel like pontificating about something :-P

hjh