Documentation: No solution shown for layout-set-staff-size problem

From: James Harkins
Subject: Documentation: No solution shown for layout-set-staff-size problem
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 18:06:17 +0800

May I mention a small omission in the documentation?

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/setting-the-staff-size

~~
Known issues and warnings
layout-set-staff-size does not change the distance between the staff lines.
~~

It would be helpful here to have a link to a section of the
documentation that explains how to override this distance, and/or an
example of setting this in the layout block.

I found here [1] that I can override #'staff-space in each staff's
\with block. However, since we---as it appears in the score's layout
block, it would be nice to set the default staff-space for all staves
in the score also in the layout block.

I'm aware that I can use #(set-global-staff-size size) to change the
font size and line spacing at once, globally, for an entire book. I
don't think that helps in this case, where I'm embedding a small score
into a \markup block for a page of instructions preceding the actual
music. This page will appear in the score and also in the parts -- in
the parts, I'm not reducing the font size for the main \score, but I
do want to reduce the font size for this embedded \score. Since the
embedded score is very short, I don't mind using the \with block
workaround.

I just wanted to call attention to it as something in the
documentation where the solution is absent.

hjh

[1] http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/modifying-single-staves