Re: change of plans for this final project

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: change of plans for this final project
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 15:34:39 +0100

David Kastrup wrote Monday, April 29, 2013 1:13 PM

> Daniel Rosen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I have, but the entire concept of instrument transposition is sort of
>> confusing to me in the first place, as a singer and pianist.
>
> So something like "Sing this a whole note lower than written" would be
> impossible for you?  You have absolute pitch?

I don't know about Daniel, but this can be an issue for singers.
I don't have absolute pitch, but I do know where certain pitches lie
in my voice.  This definitely causes me trouble when sightreading a piece
written in a different key to the one being played.  I remember also
singing the bass line to carols, which I've sung every year (several
times) for around 50 years, when the only accompaniment was a
Bb trumpet playing from scores in C.  I had great difficulty pitching
the notes because they were not where I had always sung them.

Trevor