Re: Force different system count for two scores in same book

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Force different system count for two scores in same book
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 07:57:53 +0200

2013/4/26 Jay Anderson <address@hidden>
===============
\version "2.17.16"

music = \relative c' {\repeat unfold 4 c1 |}

\paper { system-count = #2 }
\score
{
  \new Staff \music
}

\paper { system-count = #1 }
\score
{
  \new Staff \music
}
===============

In the above example I'd like to be able to force the first score to
have 2 systems and the second to have 1.

I managed to answer my own question: '\layout { system-count = #2 }'.
The docs only call out the paper block as the spot to put this, but it
seems to work fine here. Is this reliable and expected behavior? Might
this change in the future? Thanks.

-----Jay

The example you posted is not correct: you put two \paper blocks in the same (implicit) \book block, so the last one overrides the first one.
You probably meant something like this:

\version "2.17.16"

music = \relative c' {\repeat unfold 10 c1 |}

%\paper { system-count = #2 }

\score

{

\new Staff \music

\layout {

system-count = #1

\score

{

\new Staff \music

\layout {

system-count = #2

And I think that the documentation does say that it's possible:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/the-_005clayout-block

Settings that can appear in a \layout block include:

  • the layout-set-staff-size scheme function,
  • context modifications in \context blocks, and
  • \paper variables that affect score layout.

system-count is a variable that affects score layout

And below:

The \paper variables that can appear in a \layout block are: