Re: Vertically aligning markups with one another

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Vertically aligning markups with one another
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 12:47:09 +0200

Oscar Dub <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've come to a problem I don't know how to fix involving the way that
> markups are aligned to one another. I think there might be some scheme
> hacking involved in getting the result I need, although potentially
> there might be an override which I've overlooked that would do the
> same thing: either way I'd be really grateful if anyone can help me.
>
> The attached example examples I made show the problem: I'd like to be
> able to have the markups containing the filler text "one two three"
> and "four five six" typeset on the same baselines.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> As a further technical constraint, I'd like to keep using markups
> rather than lyrics if the result can be achieved this way.

The markups are independently positioned, so you might be out of luck.
You can push them out of the middle using something like

   \override Staff.StaffSymbol #'Y-extent = #'(-2 . 2)

at the start, but that won't give them a common alignment.  What's wrong
with using a lyrics context?  You can give the lyrics context its own
timing/durations so that it does not need to be syllable-synchronized to
the music.

--
David Kastrup