Re: Request for feedback on 'lobbying' paper

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Request for feedback on 'lobbying' paper
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 12:26:19 +0200

2013/4/22 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

>>> As long as the commitment to MusicXML is restricted to the willingness
>>> of vigorously applauding whoever is going to do any actual work
>>> regarding implementing it or organizing any effort, I don't see the
>>> point in proselytizing.
>>
>> I think I'm doing enough to _not_ deserve such biting comment.
> about
> Reality check.
>
> _Nobody_ is writing a single line of code related to MusicXML.  Nobody
> is trying to see how much work it would be to consolidate some of the
> MusicXML work from the Philomelos guys back into LilyPond proper.
> Nobody is feeling responsible for the current MusicXML infrastructure
> and nobody is working on any forward-looking work.
>
> [...]

Technically speaking, you are 100% correct.  I agree that talking
doesn't get the job done, and i understand the frustration when
someone reminds you about an issue that you remember very well but
don't have time to tackle.
However, could you say thins in a manner that is encouraging rather
than discouraging?
It is a fact that there is more work than we have resources available,
and it will probably always be so.  We cannot do everything at once.
What we can do is help new contributors; for example, i suggest to
review http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1367

As for Urs' involvement, i'd say one thing: there are many ways of
moving things forward and not all of them involve writing code.  A
musicologist may search for sponsors and spread the word among
publishers, and Urs is doing exactly that.  Sure, eventually someone
needs to write the code.

best,
Janek