Lyrics volta with initial rest

From: Jakob Jarmar
Subject: Lyrics volta with initial rest
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 20:04:09 +0200

I'm just starting out with Lilypond, and I'm having some problems with applying lyrics to a repeated part that starts with a rest. Here's a small test case:

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff {
      \new Voice = "voiceA" {
        \relative c'' {
          \repeat volta 2 { r2 a4 a }
    \new Lyrics {
      \lyricsto "voiceA" {
        \repeat volta 2 { foo bar }

(I hope that turned out right - the new Gmail compose is keen on breaking my formatting)

This creates a repeat bar in the middle of the measure, instead of in the beginning (as it appears if the lyrics portion is omitted). The only way I've found so far is using \lyricrhythm, but this seems like a common enough pattern in vocal music with musical parts that there should be some other way to do it that I'm missing.

Thanks in advance.
Jakob