Re: Newbie problems

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Newbie problems
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 20:37:45 +0200

Peter Toye <address@hidden> writes:

>>>BTW, I recommend using Frescobaldi instead of Lilypad:
>>>http://frescobaldi.org/download
>
> Is this the right place to be recommending a rival product? I'll have
> a look. Thanks.

It's not a rival product.  Lilypad is just an add-on packaged with
LilyPond on some operating systems to get people started.  Frescobaldi
is a quite fuller IDE for editing and compiling LilyPond files, a bit
too large to throw it into our prepackaged stuff (and it has some
problems under MacOSX I think).

"Our" core product is LilyPond, not Lilypad.  Whether it is Lilypad or
Frescobaldi or Emacs or whatever else what makes you enjoy working with
LilyPond, nobody minds.

If you leave programs in control of writing LilyPond files (like
Denemo), people consider it so-so.  "So-so" is good, very good, very
excellent good.  And yet it is not: it is but so-so.

If you use a program other than LilyPond for the actual typesetting,
people bring out the torches.

But Frescobaldi?  That's good, very good.

--
David Kastrup