Re: xpdf broken on ubuntu

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: xpdf broken on ubuntu
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 09:43:30 +0200

Orm Finnendahl <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
>  are there any recommendations for a stand-alone lilypond
> point-and-click capable pdf viewer for current ubuntu distros? xdf
> seems to be deprecated (see discussion:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xpdf/+bug/943195).
>
> Are there any emacs-cooperative alternatives (without having to
> install older versions or recompile patched sources)?

Find, get and install xpdf 3.02-21.  After checking that it works fine,
set the "hold" flag on the package so that it will not get "upgraded"
(also known as "completely broken") any more.

Something like

echo xpdf hold|sudo dpkg --set-selections

Yes, this is stupid.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I think I also saw some recipe for getting evince to work with
point&click when doing a web search, but it involved meddling with the
gconf configuration of either evince or GNOME's URI handlers.

--
David Kastrup