Re: 2.16: warning: type check for `stencil' failed

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: 2.16: warning: type check for `stencil' failed
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 16:50:21 +0200

James Harkins <address@hidden> writes:

> It seems that if I write:
>
>   \override Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil = ##f
>
> ... there's no problem. But this:
>
>   \override Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil = ##t
>
> ... produces:
>
> warning: type check for `stencil' failed; value `#t' must be of type
> stencil'
>
> I assumed the opposite of #f would be #t. Is that not a valid
> assumption?

No.  stencil is set to the actual shape being typeset.  #f means a
complete omission of the typesetting which does not require further
information.

#t, in contrast, is not a valid description of output.  You might think
of it as telling LilyPond "I want something here" instead of "I want
nothing here", but "nothing" is well-defined, and "something" isn't.

> (I ended up using the override to ##t because merely \revert-ing did
> not cause time signatures to reappear after that point.)

You can try \temporary\override ... \revert instead for versions of
2.17.6 or greater.

--
David Kastrup