Re: [OT] name of 1/256 note?

From: Olivier Biot
Subject: Re: [OT] name of 1/256 note?
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 12:35:29 +0100

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Federico Bruni <address@hidden> wrote:
I'm translating the Denemo .po file and I've found a note value of 1/256
There's an english name for it?
I couldn't find it anywhere..

Indeed, not even on Wikipedia. from Wikipedia: In order of halving duration, we have: double note (breve); whole note (semibreve); half note (minim); quarter note (crotchet); eighth note (quaver); sixteenth note (semiquaver). Smaller still are the thirty-second note (demisemiquaver), sixty-fourth note (hemidemisemiquaver), and hundred twenty-eighth note (semihemidemisemiquaver).

In the Talk page on the 128th note entry in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AHundred_twenty-eighth_note), there's this input:

"The logical succession to a hundred twenty-eighth note would be a "two hundred fifty-sixth note," or a "demisemihemidemisemiquaver" in British/Classic terminology. However, these are exceptionally rare, if not non-existent, as no evidence exists to prove or disprove their existence. "

So unofficially, I'd say 1/256th note = demisemihemidemisemiquaver

Best regards,

Olivier