Re: Repeated accidental after tie across line break

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Repeated accidental after tie across line break
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 16:35:35 -0400

Hi Karol,

> I think that making distiction between classical and non-clasiccal music is
> very important here.

"Somewhat important", I would agree — "very important", no.

> ambiguity is caused by the presence of key signature. If there is no key
> signature then there is no problem.

Untrue: Simply reverse what I did — i.e., put the piece in C major (i.e., no
key signature) and have a C-sharp tie over — and there is once again a
problem/ambiguity.

The only important question [at least in my mind] is this: In a time-sensitive
situation where starting and stopping is happening (e.g., rehearsal or
recording), can the players get the information they need (e.g., what notes to
play, with correct accidentals) in the least amount of time (i.e., without
referring back to a previous system)? Regardless of style — I compose, arrange,
conduct, play, rehearse, and record a huge range of classical, music theatre,
jazz, and popular musics — clarity is helpful when time is of the essence (as
it so often is).

That being said, I understand that certain styles have certain traditions
and/or conventions. It seems perfectly logical to me that jazz (with its
predominently hand-written manuscripts/scores and smaller ensembles) would have
erred on the side of less information (thus saving copyist time), whereas
classical music (with its predominently engraved scores and more large
ensembles) would err on the side of more information (to save player/rehearsal
time).

I think Lilypond should offer as many options as possible, so that the
user/engraver can make the choice.

Best,
Kieren.