Re: how offsets and alignment works: an explanation

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: how offsets and alignment works: an explanation
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 23:56:16 +0100

Hi all,

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Phil Holmes <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think this is useful material.  I would put it in the CG: a new section in
> Programming work: Tutorial on grob alignment.

Maybe.

> If you do this and are
> certain make doc runs without a problem, then pushing directly to staging
> would be OK as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not fluent in Texinfo, so it'll take some time to write an actual
patch (and i have some more urgent issues to fix).  So, if anyone's
interested in writing doc patch with this, go for it.

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 5:05 PM, Noeck <address@hidden> wrote:
> I loved to read this long mail.

Thanks!

> As far as I can see this is not explained in the NR, but this section
> the user is expected to know it already:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/aligning-objects

Indeed, i've forgotten about this section (however i'm pretty sure
that i'd read it a long time ago... apparently i didn't understand it
back then :P)

> I would be interested in the reference point for various additional
> objects, e.g. dynamics, as an extension to your "repoint example.png". I
> did not know for example, that it is on the left for note heads.

Sure, i can add some more.

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 6:45 PM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
> If the feedback doesn't give you a sufficiently clear idea where to put the
> material, you know what I'd suggest? ;-)

;-)

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 7:13 PM, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:
> The Notation Reference is a _reference_ document.  It is intended to
> remind users of information which they already understand.  Explanations
> belong either in the Learning Manual, the Extensions Manual or the
> Contributor's Guide.

I think that each manual needs some info about offsets and alignment:
- Learning should give all users an idea of what's going on,
- Notation should list all "knobs and switches"
- Extending should say how to override placement and handle callbacks,
- CG should make it clean how a programmer is supposed to interact with these.

I suppose that we could adapt my text separately to all these places.

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 3:02 AM, Thomas Morley
<address@hidden> wrote:
> this is great!!
> I've never read a better explanation of x_aligned_on_self and
> aligned_on_x_parent.

thanks! :)

Could i ask you to write a function that would print a red dot on top
of a grob's refpoint?  (the image i've attached was made with GIMP,
and it would be better to have it in lily code.  I'm sure this would
be simple for you.)

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The Extending Manual seems to be appropiate (or the CG should be
>> translated as well).
>
> It might be best to consider placing all detailed technical explanations
> of how Lily works in Extending, perhaps moving some material there
> from the CG, leaving only material in the CG of relevance to actually
> hacking code in the codebase.  But that's a major undertaking.
>
> In the meantime dumping it in the CG is the easier option and avoids
> it getting lost.

BTW, keep in mind that i'm just now reorganizing alignment interface -
the result will be fewer and more powerful functions.  So, some things
will need adapting - maybe we should wait with writing docs about it.

cheers,
Janek