Re: R shorthand

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: R shorthand
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 15:52:19 +0100

> Hi David,
>
>> Whatever you mean by "improve".
>
> <http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/improve>
>
>> What is supposed to be the result of
>> { \time 3/4 << { R15 \time 2/4 R3 } \\ { R3 \time 4/4 R10 } >> }
>
> One context consisting of a sequence of multi-measure rests totalling
> 51 quarter notes, simultaneously with a second context consisting of a
> sequence of multi-measure rests totalling 49 quarter notes.
>
>> Note that time changes happen synchronously in all contexts, unless
>> the Timing_translator gets moved.
>> So what happens if you quote music with full measure rests in contexts
>> with different time signature.
>
> An excellent question,

Actually, a rather bad question since once sentence above I essentially
stated that there usually _are_ no contexts with different time
signature, the time signature being infectious across contexts.

> which I am happy to leave up to those working on the low-level code.

Well, since I was not even able to phrase a well-working question, my
chances on actual low-level code would be worse.

>> You can agree however much you want to, but you won't manage to lobby
>> any programmer into successfully coding the impossible.  Any
>> "improvement" would just mean things breaking in more obscure ways.
>
> This is precisely why I posed the question in the first place: So that
> those with more knowledge than I in these matters could comment on
> whether it was possible. Despite the spectacular — though hardly
> unexpected — lack of tact in your response, I was able to parse out
> the answer.

I gave the answer previously, including the rationale.  Since it was
tactfully being ignored, it seemed to require more emphasis.  Otherwise
I would likely have been blamed for ignoring users' wishes in spite of
them reaching perfect agreement.

--
David Kastrup