More sophisticated/complicated display of harmonics

From: David G
Subject: More sophisticated/complicated display of harmonics
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 14:23:07 +0000

I'm trying to create a function to display harmonics as shown in the attached images.

harmonic1.png is in the alto clef with the sounded pitches written in the treble clef
Inline images 3

harmonic4.png is an acciaccatura all in the alto clef
Inline images 4

This is where I got to:

harmonicFingered =
#(define-music-function
  (parser location note) (ly:music?)
  #{
  \stemNeutral #note
  #})

harmonicActual =
#(define-music-function
  (parser location note) (ly:music?)
  #{
  \once \override Accidental #'font-size = #-4
  \once \override Accidental #'extra-offset = #'(2 . 0)
  \tweak Stem #'stencil ##f
  \tweak Flag #'stencil ##f
  \tweak #'font-size #-4
  \tweak #'X-offset #1.75
  #note
  #})

harmonicActualGrace =
#(define-music-function
  (parser location note) (ly:music?)
  #{
  \once \override Accidental #'font-size = #-4
  \tweak Stem #'stencil ##f
  \tweak Flag #'stencil ##f
  \tweak #'font-size #-4
  #note
  #})

harmonicBoth =
#(define-music-function (parser location fingered actual) (ly:music? ly:music?)
#{
<<{\harmonicFingered $fingered } \new Voice {\harmonicActual $actual }>> \oneVoice
#})

harmonicGrace =
#(define-music-function (parser location fingered actual) (ly:music? ly:music?)
#{
<<{\harmonicFingered $fingered } \new Voice {\harmonicActualGrace $actual }>> \oneVoice
#})

(for everything except acciaccaturas/grace notes I am putting the sounded pitch after the fingered pitch to be consistent (the original score has some before and some after) - for acciaccaturas I am aligning them vertically).

Which gets things more or less right for most situations - e.g. \harmonicBoth <e\harmonic>4_\flageolet e'}

However, I would be very grateful if someone could help me to

a) clean up the function a bit to be more Lilypondian - I don't think I have done things in the correct/logical way here (I am quite new to this!)

b) if possible allow adding a treble clef or ottava to the sounded pitch

c) make slurs/tuplet brackets etc. avoid the notehead in the same way as they do  normal noteheads.

As an aside, why do \flageolets always appear above the note unless specified with a _?

Many thanks!