Re: R shorthand

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: R shorthand
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 12:55:51 +0100

> Hi Evan,
>
>> FWIW the multimeasure rest syntax has been a bit of an annoyance
>> with what I've been working on recently (Mars).
>
> First of all, could you please email me the note code for "Mars" when
> you're done? I'm working on a wicked-cool Lilypond demo, and "Mars"
> was exactly the piece I was considering using for the example — if I
> could leverage your input effort, it would be greatly appreciated.
>
>> To me it's quite counter-intuitive that a "full measure rest" can
>> mark any durations other than a multiple of a full measure
>
> I can imagine that, somewhere out there, someone uses (e.g.)
>
>     R1*15/16 s16\> s1\!
>
> However, this (IMO) is not a compelling enough reason to avoid
> implementing my suggested syntax — we should improve Lilypond to the
> point where such non-intuitive code as the above is unnecessary.

Whatever you mean by "improve".  What is supposed to be the result of

{ \time 3/4 << { R15 \time 2/4 R3 } \\
               { R3 \time 4/4 R10 }

}

and who is going to figure it out?  Note that time changes happen
synchronously in all contexts, unless the Timing_translator gets moved.
So what happens if you quote music with full measure rests in contexts
with different time signature.

>> the proposed suggestion is a significant local improvement.
>
> Glad to hear!

You can agree however much you want to, but you won't manage to lobby
any programmer into successfully coding the impossible.  Any
"improvement" would just mean things breaking in more obscure ways.

--
David Kastrup